Tattooing has been an art form for centuries, with a rich history and cultural significance that continues to inspire artists and enthusiasts alike. Whether you are a beginner looking to learn the basics of tattooing or an experienced artist seeking to expand your knowledge and refine your skills, there are many great tattoo books available to guide and inspire you. From books on the history and cultural significance of tattoos to technical guides on equipment and technique, the best tattoo books offer a wealth of knowledge and inspiration for anyone interested in this unique and creative art form. In this article, we will explore some of the best tattoo books available today, and how they can help you on your tattooing journey.
Best tattoo books
Best tattoo books 2023
Many tattoo books are available that cover a range of styles, techniques, and inspiration. Here are some of the best tattoo books:
- “The Tattoo Dictionary” by Trent Aitken-Smith: This book is a great introduction to the world of tattoos and covers the history, styles, and symbolism of tattoos.
- “Tattoo World” by Marisa Kakoulas: This book showcases some of the best tattoo artists from around the world and provides inspiration for those looking to get a tattoo.
- “Black and Grey Tattoo” by Marisa Kakoulas: This book focuses on black and grey tattoos, which are known for their realism and shading techniques. It features some of the best black and grey tattoo artists and includes tips and techniques for creating stunning tattoos.
- “Tattoo Art” by Russ Thorne: This book is a collection of some of the best tattoo art from around the world and provides inspiration for those looking to get a tattoo or those who appreciate tattoo art.
- “The Tattoo History Source Book” by Steve Gilbert: This book covers the history of tattoos from around the world and is a great resource for those interested in the cultural significance of tattoos.
- “Vintage Tattoos: The Book of Old-School Skin Art” by Carol Clerk: This book is a collection of vintage tattoo designs from the early 1900s to the 1950s and provides inspiration for those looking for classic tattoo designs.
These are just a few of the best tattoo books available, but there are many more to choose from depending on your interests and style preferences.
Best tattoo books for beginner
If you are a beginner looking to learn more about tattooing, here are some of the best tattoo books to get started with:
- “Tattooing A to Z: A Guide to Successful Tattooing” by Huck Spaulding: This book is a comprehensive guide to the basics of tattooing, covering topics such as setting up a tattoo machine, sterilization, and color theory.
- “Basic Fundamentals of Modern Tattoo” by C.R. Jordan: This book covers the basics of tattooing, including setting up your workspace, choosing the right equipment, and tattooing techniques.
- “The Complete Tattoo Bible: Tattoo Apprentice to Professional Tattoo Artist” by Superior Tattoo: This book covers everything from the basics of tattooing to advanced techniques, and includes information on setting up a business as a tattoo artist.
- “The Tattoo Artist’s Handbook” by E.C. Fields: This book provides a step-by-step guide to tattooing, including techniques for shading, outlining, and coloring.
- “Tattoo Apprentice: How to Tattoo a Snake” by Robert Renfield: This book is a beginner’s guide to tattooing, covering the basics of tattoo design, equipment, and techniques.
These books provide a solid foundation for beginners to learn the basics of tattooing and get started on their tattooing journey. Remember that tattooing is an art form that requires practice and dedication, so don’t be afraid to keep learning and improving your skills.
Best tattoo history books
If you are interested in the history of tattooing and its cultural significance, here are some of the best tattoo history books to read:
- “Bodies of Subversion: A Secret History of Women and Tattoo” by Margot Mifflin: This book explores the history of women and tattoos, from the 19th century to modern times, and the cultural and social significance of tattoos on women’s bodies.
- “1000 Tattoos” by Henk Schiffmacher: This book is a visual history of tattoos, featuring over 1,000 tattoo designs from around the world, from traditional tribal tattoos to modern designs.
- “Tattooed: The Sociogenesis of a Body Art” by Michael Atkinson: This book explores the social and cultural history of tattooing, from its early origins to its modern popularity.
- “The Tattoo History Source Book” by Steve Gilbert: This book is a comprehensive guide to the history of tattoos from around the world, including tribal tattoos, traditional Japanese tattoos, and modern tattooing.
- “The Art of Tattoo: A Tattoo Artist’s Inspirational Sketchbook” by Megan Massacre: This book is a visual history of tattoo art, featuring sketches and designs from some of the best tattoo artists in the world.
These books provide a deeper understanding of the history and cultural significance of tattooing, and are a great resource for tattoo artists and enthusiasts alike.
Tattooing is an art form that has been practiced for centuries and continues to grow in popularity today. Whether you are a beginner looking to learn the basics or an experienced artist looking to expand your knowledge, there are many great tattoo books available to help you along your journey. From books on the history and cultural significance of tattooing to guides on technique and equipment, the best tattoo books offer a wealth of knowledge and inspiration for anyone interested in this unique and creative art form. So, whether you are a tattoo artist or a tattoo enthusiast, be sure to check out some of these top tattoo books to enhance your knowledge and appreciation of this fascinating art form.